Are you looking for a robot cleaner that’s compact, affordable and efficient? If you are, you may have heard of the Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen-Robotic Pool Cleaner and about how good it is. Based on the reviews there’s no question that it’s struck a positive cord with customers, but is this the best robotic cleaner for your pool?
- One of the most significant features on the SmartKleen is its intelligent navigation. One of the problems of robotic pool cleaners is trying to deal with pools of different shapes and sizes. Even a small pool can present problems for poorly designed cleaners, but the SmartKleen is designed to deal with this.
- The SmartKleen is equipped with a two hour shutoff timer. One of the problems that new users encounter is forgetting to turn the device off. With the auto shutoff feature the SmartKleen shuts down after its cleaning cycle is done.
- The SmartKleen has a Quick Drain system that makes it easy to remove the cleaner from your pool. If you have used pool cleaners before, you know how hard it can be to lift one out of the water. However that issue has been addressed here so it’s more convenient to use.
- You also get a 40 foot power cord. This is just right for small and medium sized pools and indicative of what the cleaner is for. It’s not long enough for large pools, but for most aboveground pools the cord will do. It is also well designed and has a solid feel to it.
- The direct drive motor superior performance and has superior traction. It’s this motor that provides the SmartKleen with its versatility, and the accompanying brush-to-port suction allows it to vacuum the debris in your pool.
- The filter bag is generously sized, making it easy to trap dirt and other debris. Because of the way the SmartKleen works, you don’t have to worry about your pool’s pump and filtration system wearing down anytime soon.
- While not exactly a feature, we have to point out the SmartKleen has been fully certified and approved by the CE, CSA and ETL. Because it adheres to these standards, you are assured of its quality and dependability.
If you want to see this SmartKleen robotic pool cleaner in action then we recommend watching the below video. The video is 11 minutes long and shows the robot pool vacuum tackling all the common elements of a pool. You will see how it navigates stairs, along edges and walls and effectively captures a lot of dirt in the process. By the end of the video you get to see how well the robot has cleaned the pool after 2 hours of operation.
- Compact but fully functional design: this four-wheel drive is clearly designed with convenience in mind. It is lighter than the other pool cleaners in this range but doesn’t compromise as far as performance is concerned.
- Navigates pools intelligently: the SmartKleen is smart enough to recognize the shape of the pool it is cleaning. Other robot cleaners need walls to change direction, but the SmartKleen does not.
- Powerful and efficient cleaning: the SmartKleen is capable of cleaning different types of pools. It is built mainly for aboveground pools, but it is versatile enough to handle in-ground pools with maximum dimensions of 14′ x 28′ x 6′.
- Versatile: a general weakness among low quality is their ability to work only on limited surfaces. The SmartKleen is a notable exception because you can use it whether your pool surface is made of concrete, fiberglass or vinyl liner, the three most widely used materials on pools.
- Some customers have reported the cord getting twisted.
- One reviewer said the SmartKleen broke down after just a few months’ use (although the unit comes with a 1 year warranty and was replaced).
The SmartKleen has solid specs, but how well does it compare to other compact robotic pool cleaners? When it is pitted against Pool Rover S2 40 and the Aquabot APRVJR, the SmartKleen keeps up very well. Price wise the three are very close, but the SmartKleen has the edge in performance.
The S2 does a decent job as a pool cleaner, but it seems to have problems with navigation and often leaves some dirt behind. When the two are pitted head to head, the S2 doesn’t hold up well. There are also customers who say the S2 isn’t durable, and errors appear after using it.
The same thing can be said about the Aquabot APRVJR. When the Aquabot APRVJR runs, it does pool cleaning as well as the SmartKleen, but the problem is there are a lot of times when it doesn’t work. This doesn’t mean the Aquabot APRVJR isn’t any good. On the contrary its cleaning capacity is comparable to the S2 and SmartKleen, but it is inconsistent.
When you consider all of these, it’s easy to pick the SmartKleen over the other two. Not only is it more reliable, but cleanup is reliable.
The Smartpool NC22 SmartKleen is not the most powerful robotic pool cleaner, and it’s not designed that way. It’s a compact device for cleaning small and average size aboveground and in-ground pools. As long as you recognize what the SmartKleen can and cannot do you’ll get maximum value for your money. Compared to other similar robot pool cleaners, the SmartKleen provides better results, so we recommend it.